Happy Birthday, Daniel
On your birthday last year
I was coming up the coastline, coasting, I guess
Stopping to watch windsurfers until the mist and rain
Pushed me away
I thought I was coming to you in a white rolling cloud
And that I'd be there singing your praises
Instead I was in the world, as you have taught me to be
In one moment seeing the world with a peaceful heart
Holding quite tenderly any sensation of irony
Even on your birthday
When I thought about it, how I knew you
I realized that I never really made contact with you
Until the day when you said
Somehow it seems appropriate
That I should gift you now, months later
With this unfinished poem
I was coming up the coastline, coasting, I guess
Stopping to watch windsurfers until the mist and rain
Pushed me away
I thought I was coming to you in a white rolling cloud
And that I'd be there singing your praises
Instead I was in the world, as you have taught me to be
In one moment seeing the world with a peaceful heart
Holding quite tenderly any sensation of irony
Even on your birthday
When I thought about it, how I knew you
I realized that I never really made contact with you
Until the day when you said
This is my scar, under foot.I never made it to your party that day
This is my hidden pain.
This is why I seem preoccupied.
Somehow it seems appropriate
That I should gift you now, months later
With this unfinished poem
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home